Saturday, July 13, 2013

JeanLoup Sieff

JeanLoup Sieff: First inspiration, how this photographer made me who I am now.

JeanLoup Sieff & Chenz

I don't remember exactly how old I was, 7 or 9 years old, something like that. I was looking for erotic sensations via pictures of naked women in books. 

This is how I discovered the book, "LA PHOTO : PAR CHENZ ET JEANLOUP SIEFF". This is a reference book for beginners in photography. It was a kind of 2 books in one, CHENZ's approach was deeply technical, he was talking about the chemical and optical details of photography. JEANLOUP SIEFF's part was more focused on the image, he included some of his pictures, I guess he taught by example, I can tell you it worked for me.

Father Photographer

I was already taking pictures at this time, my FATHER taught me the technical photography bases really early. It makes me smile when I think about it because he had no doubts about the ability of a 7 year old boy to learn this knowledge.
However, my approach was more technical than artistic. I guess I wanted to do like my father in having my camera in my hands but I was not sure about knowing the purpose of this willingness.

JeanLoup Sieff: First inspiration

Everything became crystal clear when I saw this picture from JeanLoup Sieff in the book I just mentioned. It was a belly which had goose bumps, in the background it was a window probably (because it's been years since I saw this picture), the black and white chiaroscuro which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I think about it. I'm not sure but I think it was a picture of his wife's early pregnancy. I'm not able to show this picture here despite the research I made on the net.
 Ever since seeing this picture I knew why I wanted to photograph, the real purpose of it. I wanted to find the same feeling I got with this picture in my own photography. I'm 36 years old and it is now more than ever the goal and the point of my life. JeanLoup Sieff's black and white has inspired my BLACK AND WHITE photography most of my life, and now I'm doing this COLOR PROJECT about temporary art. At this point I am so far from the original spring, my inspiration has increased with the influences from other photographers and now mostly from music, especially from my WIFE. Wherever my path takes me, I have my passion and his roots in my blood....Passionately
THANK YOU JEANLOUP !!!

Sonia Sieff

In writing this article I found out about SONIA SIEFF, who is JeanLoup Sieff's daughter, she is a really talented photographer as well. I was touched to see that the history of my mentor had a development through his daughter. I was really tempted to write something about her in this article but I resisted because I know how it can be heavy to be the son/daughter of someone famous. Before writing an article on her I would like to make sure I know her photography better. I would also like to take time to forget her father before considering her artwork, it is the minimum respect I owe to a talented photographer.....










No comments:

Post a Comment